Giving you some back story I live in Maine at a semi private boarding school. I live with about 50 boys from around the world and I have 12 that I mentor on a weekly basis. We are like a very large extended family, to which i am their "dad." I try to guide them on life choices teach them about life and above all help prepare them for life after high school should it be here or anywhere. A good example, I had to teach Fly and George how to hammer and screw, quite the adventure. When you live with a bunch of teenage pre/post and everything in between puberty boys a snow day can be like winning the mega millions with your last dollar, but little do they know, I am also thinking that I have stroke gold.
Being a teacher I have realized that a snow day is liked just as much by me as it is by the students. Sure I can not stand that we are going to lose a day of instruction and I might have to move my test to the next day, etc. I wake up today half awake and busted out my room to check and see if the snow looked to be accumulated enough to be a good chance. There was no snow, however the forecast was very expressive of the potential danger and thus, we closed!
There is a true benefit to teaching up in the north, other than the high rigor and the beautiful scenery, there is the occasional snow day. The thought of being able to stay in sweats and get even further ahead drink coffee all day and not have to answer a million questions about the directions I just gave sounds wonderful to me. Teachers want a break too and sometimes more than the students. a snow day allows me that chance to really get a solid handle on the week and more of lessons. Sure thinking that I am going to have to make this all up on the other end is frustrating but at the moment I am very very happy. My feet are up I am ahead of schedule I have no kids and life is good.
I love my kids and I love teaching this job has given me the most but I think that I am ok to say that teachers like to have a break more than the students. since we have no chances to run errands, get ahead, organize, clean, and enjoy a good cup of coffee. Enven more when you life with boys from all over the world.
The snow is still falling and though I tell all the guys, "it will pigs will fly before we have two snow days in a row," it would be a lie if I told you I did not do a little snow day dance again just in case. Couldn't hurt.

We have had two snow days in a row before... but I would be happy with a delay!
ReplyDeletenothing like a good snow day most of the time. here, teachers have to make up the day. kids have 5 built in, I think...maybe 3, then get to make them up. on Saturdays.
ReplyDelete