Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The End is Near, I think I can.


The last week of classes and I am approaching the light...... 


Classes are nearing an end and Thank you jesus for that! The kids are growing stir crazy and I am as well. I am well ready for the next semester and students it will bring. I think that I am going to try and beef up my expectations of my students next semester. These kids are going to be working more intuitively than physically., well I hope at least.

My dreams to conquer the world through mathematics are still holding strong and I have the drive of a brand new dodge viper, however I feel as if I'm coming more realistic with my days and times. The kids hold low expectations of themselves and they are champions in the art of complaining. I fight fire with fire and complain back in a even more obnoxious whining tone, they get the point. My students are more on-level if you will than accelerated but they are accelerated when it comes to fun. With that fun comes immaturity and lack of organization. The students would forget their brains if they could.
I have been thinking of ideas and more innovatives ways to get students to be more responsible. the constant, "I have no paper and pencil." Gets pretty boring after the first week. PS I still get it at week 17.

More so recently I have been adopted or self-proclaimed I guess a stand-in consoler. Students are coming to me with many life dramas and I admire their courage to speak with an adult. I am worried that I will provide the wrong advice, but I think they are just seeking a non-judgmental outlet. The amount that a student faces is far worse than I remember. I wonder if I had sturggles like these in my days but time has healed the wounds I thought were so large back then? I feel enlightened that students are open with me, in reason knowing I can only with hold so much. It makes me feel like that I am conquering the world, or even just this time piece of downeast Maine for right now.

Cheerleading has been the saving grace to all my days. I have started to love this team of misfits and dramatic girls. They work hard and cry often but we have the best of times. I think that they enjoy what I offer and the help that I bring. I am stern in what I want but I do like having a great time. The kids are those of a new era where the phone is king and expectations are low.  These girls have given me more than I have given them and I count the minutes until I see them at practice.

Overall the first semester of teaching has been lined with headaches, bruises, sleepless nights, and constantly feeling behind. These symptoms are normal and will lessen over time. Should they continue, I would suggest seeking seeing a local mentor.

1 comment: