Great news,
The phones have started to disappear from sight, and by sight I mean period. As I am a younger teacher I am hip to the crotch texting skills that kids think I feel off the truck yesterday
"Mr. shannon, you should be old. then we can text and talk about you behind your back and you can't hear us." I take that a compliment. Please, send more my way guys. Bring it on!
After one week of the "house of cell," (A box that is used to collect phones that are out during lecture of off task during co=operative learning). I have seen such a drop in the number of phones that are out and being a distraction in my class. Kids rather have their phones put up in their bag than into my box. If it is in the box they will not have a chance to listen to music during group working or individual works as well. this has also helped in note taking. I think it has increased the engagement with my students.
I can relate with the kids, just six months ago I was in class texting about how dumb my class was to typically to classmates. However, I was paying for my degree and I was able to put the device down and do work in class as well. 1 have only had to take about one or two phones from the "high profile" students before the whole class has straightened up pretty quickly. It is becoming almost a game of mine to find them as well which really stinks because I have great eyes.
I feel that this recently work requires me to continue into another area of management. I am going to work on making sure that transitions into new topics are far more smooth and that I allow kids the time to get into gear. this will help by starting on time better with a warm up exercise that gets the kids working at the bell and that I make new statements in the same place of the room every time. I think that the understanding of direction will place the students onto the same plane and learning atmosphere as myself and we will think as a unit to increase the learning community. I think this will also establish more terms of understanding that this is my classroom that they are learning in, not a fun zone that happens to have math in it.
Things have been continuing to get better as the year is going on. I am so happy that I get chances to see my co-workers and I am really starting to enjoy this place. I have been thinking of transitioning back to Georgia but like any great movie the 3/4 part always makes things sappy so that the end will be tear jerker. My company here increasingly gets cooler and more fun. I really feel myself around this crew with no judgement and just chilling with good smart people that make me laugh so much. Life here is great and things are going well. We are freezing our tails off and into our heads in snow but the company we have here will surpass any crazy weather the coast of Maine will throw at us.
I'm hoping for an interest soon as well. :)
Also, I love my best friend in the world so much, I can't wait to see her in a month and talk more about living together!
I'm so glad you're seeing improvements in your classroom, in your confidence & abilities as a teacher & in your social life (although let's not improve too much there, Georgia wants ya back lol)!
ReplyDeleteI love & miss you more...you're the Will to my Grace, the Angry to my Orchard, the Arbor to my Mist, the Helen to my Keller!
Proud of you lovie!
Being your neighbor, I have noticed a mark difference in your classroom volume. I am glad that you are experiencing a difference in your teaching environment. Your students adore you and I am sure will respect you for your classroom management. You have been a great asset to WA... I truly hope you will be here next year and NOT Georgia!
ReplyDelete