Monday, January 20, 2014

Recap to cap a semester

Looking back can help you see the future.

Recap on the year Check List
- Taught three mathematics courses. Functions Statistics and Trigonometry to seniors, Algebra 1 to freshmen. Foundations of mathematics to freshmen as well.
- Mentor to Gay Straight Alliance
- Coached Football sideline cheerleading
- Taught students with special needs in mathematics
- Coached Winter competition/ basketball cheerleading
- Interim advisor to Junior class.
- Lived on campus with about 50 international boys mentoring them while boarding.
- lastly, self proclaimed guidance counselor to aspiring students in very tough times.
- starting my YouTube mathematics Rap videos in hopes of being famous.

What have I learned from this?
Kids are tougher than nails but more fragil than styrofoam. Kids will crush each other but breakdown when attacked. Students are looking for help and guidance and assistance. It is amazing how many want to be good and are concerned about each other. There is far more hope in this world than hate. Students will work hard when they can connect or relate. Not only young "cool" teachers are those who can connect with students as well. Kids will speak to be heard and just want to not have words fall on dear ears. They are not always seeking action but a sound board and trust. Attending a school function should be a requirement for teachers since student adore seeing faculty support. kids notice that you give up your time for them, as they give up their time for you.

Teaching is tough, rewarding more than anything and stressful to say the very least. Teaching is acting and the show must always go on, there is no day off and there is no dropping the ball. Kids trust those who the find intelligent and justified in their teaching.  Teaching takes tough skin, kids will be honest if your ideas are bad. Messing up is ok and understood IF you can back it up with knowledge. Knowing your material will earn you more respect than being well versed. You might know a math  book, but do you know the math is totally different and noticeable. Teaching requires you to be ready for anything, to have the patience of a saint and to be ok with failure. Know that kids are kids mistakes happen but in the end everyone should be given an equal shot to be successful. No one is equivalent, but we can strive towards equality.

Living with international boys alludes to many challenges. The language barrier to start even though many seem to be decent in English. The cultural is a larger worry and a growing battle to understand. In some countries showering is not a mandated or seen as a daily chore. Boys do not follow rules even ones that are very valid, like not hot pots in your room. Guys can be stereotypical gross, as far as bathrooms are concerned. Above all the guys are far more caring, since I live with them and I am their mentor. They listen decently and like to feel respected as kids are constantly seeking. They want to be given rules and rewarded for good work. The boys give me gifts of exotic things to show their approval. As many days that are very hard to live with a dorm full of high school guys is, there are many days that provide great rewards.

Final thoughts, life this first semester has been like a roller coaster, with many falls, loops, and swirls. I'm hoping the second half includes more straight aways. I have missed friends and cheerleading. I so happy to be near my family and those who have supported me but I do miss Logan. I think the teaching is definitely a career that I can be very successful as i am very aspiring to be better than I was before and to be the best possible. To provide great mathematics and life lessons for each student I have to grow mathematically and personally. next semester I'm learning to say no, but saying yes provides many new memories.

1 comment:

  1. ummm I posted a comment Tuesda night, weird, guess it didn't post :(

    Miss you more, love. I can't wait till April when I FINALLY get to see you! I'm so proud of you for surviving your first semester of teaching...all you have to do is not drown, and you didn't! It gets better, promise!

    xoxo
    Logan

    ReplyDelete