It has been ages since I posted and I really need some reflecting......
My kids are not being pushed nearly hard enough but this is coming mostly from my seniors, I think that they are just used to being not forced to working hard. I think it is time that a couple get on the wagon or get out of the course. An e-mail is being sent home in the morning about their son/daughters grade and their work ethic.
Phones have started to disappear and that is helping my boys are starting to be more and more interested in my lecture now that I know their names enough to call them out about their TERRIBLE note taking skills, man do you have to spoon feed freshmen. They're tough and require WORK! They are quick to chatter and get off topic, typically about nickelodeon which is wicked cute to me that they really do talk about kid shows still even if they play "cool."
I am getting to the point of being Mr. Shannon the loved Sargent, I feel that I am getting more and more assertive with the students in the classroom while still being caring and interactive with their lives. I like to pause and ask about their days and their interest. I think it is important that we start to learn more about each other, it builds trust and respect. They respect that fact that I care and I want to know, and that I listen. Mostly that I listen and let them have a minute to discuss about things. Everyone needs a break once in a while. My classes are molding into their forms and becoming the unit that I think they should be. I will be known forever as having a louder classroom and I am adjusting slightly so that I can be more learning constructive community and not so much side talk about problems on the board and non-math topics.
My foundations course is getting better since I am getting more and more clear about my directions, expectations, and encouraging them to be successful in my course. I think that I have laid some great ground rules for them as far as the computer is concerned and it has helped with their focus in doing well. Algebra, is algebra and been a little tough but I think that I am doing better with the boys now that I have goten into material that is more challenging and they are struggling. Guys love a good challenge.
I am thinking that I do not want to give my FST class a final. I feel that we should instead do something far more interesting, maybe I should have them write a five page paper about all the math they have learned while being here at WA, a reflection on what they felt was most important and least important. I'm thinking this will really help them to understand why we learn math.
Cheerleading was EPIC last thursday and we have an amazing practice. The girls are really starting to respond to my style and my ideas. I am laying down some great ground work and functions for the future here at WA. The kids really enjoy my style that is forward but sincere, they like being told they are wrong AND how to fix it to be better. It is very easy to say what is wrong, being able to help fix it is far better. I was on duty this weekend and all the residential students and I are getting along so well. I really enjoy all of them. It can at times be overwhelming to be around them constantly but I do really enjoy their company and their liking for me. They are wicked funny and I love how they do whatever they think is cool and are not heavily swayed but others opinions.
The most importnat part of this reflection to me is that a student, a very high profile student came out to me. The found me on campus and asked to speek. after a long walking talk i found out that the student is afraid of their parents, the school, and the community. They are scared but confident that this is them and that they were chosen to bring great things. They feel as though this was always them and something that they can not change. They love the way things are and want to fel safe about being themselves. It was such an amazing experience, I felt so honored and inspired by this student to continue to do the things I do. I am changing lives and inspiring youth to do well in their lives. I am blooming as a teacher and this is myr route in life. All the hard work, papers, late nights paid off at that one moment. What an electrify day, I wanted to be lifted to the highest level it was the best high I was so elated. How incredible that the student felt confident in me to share such news, I can not stop thinking about it still.
A bit of a long post but a shout out to my best friend Logan and Melissa, I love you millions and their is so much great that you two give to me. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment