Sunday, September 15, 2013

Weekend catch up = still behind. I'm Ok

Another weekend has rolled by and yet I'm still behind.......

I have found that the weekends are for me and not for trying to find better lessons. I can stress about work when I'm at work and I need to enjoy the beautiful scenery that is around me. My family is such a nice getaway and having a sleep over with a 5yo niece is as good as the cookies we eat in bed together. This is why I'm glad to say no, I did not finish grading your test and homework over the weekend, you will get it tomorrow. I am discovering that teaching is really 24/7 and that I need to put the pencils down and enjoy myself. My dad gave me some whoopie pies too, gosh he knows me way too well. I really can not write how much I love how my dad and I are friends again. I hate that I lost so much time with my mom and dad, but instead I rejoice in all the time we spend together and love being so close. They have helped me so much and I want to give them ten fold back.

Friday was a great day and I keep thinking the world of all my students. The test that I have been through have been nice and it is great to see that my kids are learning. I am trying to get better lessons and not be so boring as to read from the book. It is tough to do such an act for all three classes, and I think my seniors rather just do the book work at this point.

In FST the tests are going very well, I think I am going to allow for a re-do for half credit to students. I am not a fan of making this a precedent as students will crutch onto this re-do. I'm still thinking to which I would rather. In algebra students did better on the in class than the take home, still trying to figure that out. A lot are still not showing their work and it is getting to be frustrating. Foundations, the programs are in and we are off and running! It was a very great friday indeed! The students were happy to work and I let them work with headphones so they love it even more, and I LOVE the silence even more because it is my fourth period.

I sent a boy to the office friday for his use of the language "Fing Queer." When I said, language. His response was ," what the word means weird?" This was clearly not the word I was speaking of since queer in this context to me really is not that bad, but the fact that he tried to cover it and lie was disappointing. I had a real life eye opener this week too grading binders and I graded a binder that was put together by tape and no dividers. I grabbed a binder of mine, organized his and gave him dividers. I even left the front pouch open so he could draw another great drawing that he does all the time in class. This was the same boy that was stapling his pants together because they were holy, and they are his only ones.

I am advisor for GSA, homecoming and cheer coach. We have so much to do this week with GSA and I hope that slowly over time we can change the minds of this small town. They don not know the Ryan that they are lucky enough to have here. I will help them see that being gay is A-ok! Homecoming is coming together nicely and I think it is going to be a great one. As far as cheerleading, what is there not to love about the love of my life. This is why I am here, to teach these girls how to be great cheerleaders and for them to remind me why I love this sport so much. Our game on Friday was so much fun, I might be a bit forceful and overbearing but I just love it! I live for Friday nights and having the school rally together for any sport, this one just happens to be football. My girls looked so good and they really did an awesome job, they love it you can tell. I rather teach them than a talented team of brats any day.

Things were really tough last week, had a couple of moments that I wanted to disappear but those I think will pass and I continue to grow and learn about myself as an educator. My goal is get more frequent assessments of my day so that I can get more grades and better understanding of how my students learn. I want to reflect more often as well on my lessons. I think the ticket out the door (TOTD) will help greatly as well. Looking back it really wasn't that bad, and I think I am doing a pretty darn good job! The most important part of teaching is that I care, caring people teach so much more than a book. So if that's the care, I am doing just fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment