Yep, it is Already late Sunday,
I haven't graded half the papers I needed graded and I haven't made half the lessons I needed to make! This is getting to be a bit ridiculous. I have no time for my family soon and no time for anything other than school. I think that the load I was given is pretty stupid for being a first year teacher. I am I do admire a good challenge and I really enjoy being so busy but I can NEVER catch up on my work. It is a constant and I hate that there is going to be an open house Wednesday and grades close for report cards friday, Joy!
Phew (insert huge breathe)
Now that is over I can really reflect on the real situation... my students.
I have had a student that was accused of stealing from the school, the football locker to be exact. This is the student that I made a binder for because he was less fortunate. He is also the one that was stapeling his pants together because they had holes and it was his only pair for school. I knew that he was working against the odds to be turned to trouble but I tried my best to be a mentor and help him before something like this happened. He is such a good kid, well to me he was. I feel terrible that he has done such a thing. I know that it is out of my control but I really wish the best for him and that is all I can do. I guess we get warmed up to the kids way sooner than we think.
I am the advisor for Gay Straight Alliance, this group is my joy, I love the support. I had a few approach me about how a student was made to remove a bumper sticker from her computer stating, "Excuse me for not attending church, I was busy practicing witch craft and being a lesbian." I know I laughed my tail off too. However they saw it "offensive" to who? I'm not sure! I am going to have to meet with officials about this and work all the problems out for this girl, we are having quite the trouble with families that are very vocal about their "church view" This is not a battle for church versus gay, it is a few parents being ignorant at a fews expense. The students are great and have no worries about it but the parents are being foolish. I need to help my group understand that we are not at war with other students but with making others aware that being gay is ok, and we are not against anyone expect those who are not exposed or educated. Slowly we are opening eyes and ears and minds, I think we should not rest on our success so far however can not forget all the ground work we have accomplished by a single action.
The football game was another success, I had a girl leave the game early, I'm hoping that she is ok. I am only the helper so I am unsure of the situation and well I am I will never find out. I am still beyond proud of how hard these girls work, we had a tough start to the game with a few missing from being sick but overall it was still great. I think they lack some discipline but we just need to mold that as they all have it but we need to find tone it. This is the same situation that I am working on with my own classroom. Hm how fitting that coaching is like teaching.
My weekend was filled with the family again, I had my mom help with grading. My niece lacks any understanding of work time, and she is a real jerk about not being able to play. She is geting to the turning stage of being a toddler to being a kid, her brattyness will go soon. It really is just her loving the time she has with me and knows that I have to leave soon so she gets upset (I hope). Helped my Dad again in what seemed to be a "stupid" chore to me but he was grateful for my help so I was ok with it.
I got to sit with all my advisee kids today and learn more about them. They let me try some weird fig ginger thing, roasted cashews and Vietnamese noodles mind you I was not told of what any of these were before tasting. They also help out pulled pork but said ,"try it!" without hesitation "YOLO" status I tried it. I think they are really starting to like me, I feel the same about them. It is so different living with so many people from around the world. I want them to do so well in life and here, I watch over them and protect the best I can. I have so many it gets to be over whelming but they know that I do care about them. I really sat down and talked to them like they were my kids and it is great to see them appreciate having a person talk to them about school and their grades and hearing, "I'm proud of your hard work." I might like saying it more then hearing it.
As a math teacher I want to make people feel better about their work and the work they accomplish in Math. I want everyone to be successful and do well from adding numbers to finding ground breaking mathematics. Each day I want to make my students feel like math really aint that bad, and I can do this! Heck if I get a "This is cool Mr. Shannon, or this is totally easy." I'll punch my time card for the week!
Oh and next weekend, maybe I will feel like I have more than just one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment