It is yet again another way too late night staying up working on lessons and things for my students. This si a true sign of being a first year teacher, just trying to stay afloat. I had a much better day today.
FST is such a joy to teach, the seniors are way fun to talk to a joke with and work so super hard. They are well behaved and well focused. We just finished a chapter and the test is friday. This class I consider to be my baby. This is the one that really matters to me. I love all my classes and the last thing I wish you would think is that I do not care for them all but I really feel like I have a grasp of the direction and ability of this class. I think the maturity level was way this course was easier to feel out.
Algebra, my boys figured me out today, I think that tomorrow (test day) wont be too bad. We established grounds that you are a strike and then out. A warning and then off to see Mr. Detention. This helped out ten fold, and we covered so much material. I really enjoyed it today. I have given them a take home test that I think will be pretty helpful and I am going to count it as 30 percent of their test tomorrow. I am hoping this will kick a chunk off the anxiety shoulder tomorrow. The guys are working very hard and really starting up pick up the material.
Foundations, what a great bunch fo kids! We fixed he flow of the classroom today and woah nelly did we get work done! We played bingo today using operations that would sum, difference, product, or more than one operation and yield a number from 1-20. I think it was pretty interesting and that students liked it. I have handed them a LARGE packet that I will collect tomorrow for a "test" grade without telling them it is a test. This is the class full of strugglers that can do all the material but freak during an exam I want to see if this will increase their scores and ability to prove they can complete the material. still fighting with the computer people but we have made an alternative that will serve for now until i can make some more grounds. I really appreciate the students being so understanding.
There is always something about wednesday that is great, I think that everyone is getting ready for friday and the grudge from tuesday has been lifted. I have always had bad tuesdays and I go into each one thinking of how great that day could be but it ends and epic fail. Living with the guys is really tough, I am their morning alarm clock, their teacher, their friend, their hard-ass parent. I have to constantly change and constantly stay attentive to what each guy is doing. It is very tiring on me and my patience. It is even worse when I really like the guys, their great kids but they need to be refined for sure. I hope to be a mentor that will guide them into a life that is successful and I wish them all the best every morning.
Lastly, I have been asked if I would like more responsibility for the cheer team. I can not tell you have great that felt, there has been tension but I really just love to help the girls there is so much more that goes into being the coach that I am unaware of and I am ok with not having to be on top of it constantly. I think the coach is a great coach that has done great things with the girls and continues to run a great program. I'm not a hawk, I just love the team, the sport and helping. I'll keep you posted on how the coaching is going as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment