Here I am blogging while eating a Whoopie pie (My favorite) and drinking sleepytime tea.
Da Da Da, Another one bites the dust!
There we go folks another week another dollar. I really feel like I am starting to get an understanding and rhythm for this whole teaching thing. My planning is taking FAR less time. I am able to see other teachers and say hi and of course get a cup of coffee. I see the stress relieving and the sleepless nights slowly fading away. This is starting to feel like a real job that is really something I can get into.
My seniors and I fought for a second, and naturally as in any fight I enter, I was the winner. I asked for perimeter of a 3D figure and they were misunderstood of my asking of the question. It is ok, I will shut them down tomorrow. I love the open discussion that this caused though, it was firey. My co-worker has been around to help em add a fun twist to the warm-ups for my algebra boys. They are starting to use literacy to make the warm-up more fun and in turn getting far more response from them. It has been great. "describe in a poem using words of the day, how you feel about Mr. Shannon's tie." They are still very loud and I haven't mustarded up the energy to pull a couple to the side and speak with them about their grades. I think it is parents time as grades close in a week. I think I need to really step up to the plate and be a teacher, not a best friend.
My foundations class has been going well, I think that we are starting to really make some huge ground now that we have the computers. I know that it sounds really exciting to be able to do your math on the computer, but this is no game and the kids get annoyed very quickly, I will need to think of alternatives this weekend. I feel that my lessons for this class lack the structure that I have in FST and algebra, this is something I need to address. Like Algebra, I have started to use tickets out the door with foundations. These have been so helpful to realize who is getting the material fast. I am able to repeat sections for all students and kit extra points for those who already understood to keep them engaged.
Gay straight alliance has really made me feel so comfortable on campus, I love this group. They look up to me for so much, least I think. I feel the kids want to really make a difference here and I love to be part of that. We are getting topics covered in our meetings that are helping those around us to be educated about our community. I love seeing the kids interact with each other and really get into the workshops. I am blow away with their abilities. We have some big events coming up, (homecoming,coming out day, and halloween dance.) I hope that these are big fun, as I plan them to be.
Cheerleading has been epic! The girls have been the biggest award I could ask for. The coach and I have been meshing so well recently. I can not tell you have fun it has been. Watching the girls improve and just get so much better. They are so confident in themselves and all their talents. We might not be the best, but we have the biggest hearts and drive. I love what they have done already, things are going to be great. I keep getting compliments about how they look, and I plan to get hundreds more!
The students here have been more and more kind to the idea of me being me. I think that they are far more accepting than those around us make them seem. This town has great people here, I see them everywhere. I know that I am typically overly positive but this time I am telling the truth. We have a dog on campus with us and things keep getting better for us, as far as tolerance is concerned.
PS the fire alarm went off in my foundations class and as we were waiting outside to go back in, I did a backflip for them. Mr. Shannon is Winning at life!
Want to make your kids think you are the coolest, do a backflip.
No comments:
Post a Comment