Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Week One done, two and a few

It has been a few days since I posted, and I'm about to explain why.

I have been all over the place with planning, coaching, res. life, and seeing my family. I have been soo lucky to have found a career near my parent's house so that I am able to visit on the drop of a hat. I love being able to go home help my dad with the house and labor, my mom in cooking and cleaning, and being able to see my wonderful niece. It really is such a blessing to be here and see them at any moment. It is strange how the older I get the closer I cling to my family that I once pushed away. My parents have made some really great friends up here which has been wonderful as well. This is such a great place.

Teaching is tough, that is no joke. This skin I thought that was tough as nails seems to be a frail as wind. I am growing and learning and making mistakes left and right. I feel that I have such a great support system here at the school and people that really care about my success. I have the teacher across that hall and next door that are so eager to help and listen to my ideas, I feel that they really like what I come up with. I'm getting better about implementation. I tried a different idea with my FST students and it was a total fail. I wanted them to rotate in groups working on questions from a chapter as a study guide, well people went the wrong directions and kids changed groups and their work was all over the papers..... it was bad, but we reflect, rebuild and continue to improve as every aspect in life. That's why I'm writing a blog to better myself as a teacher. I have been given the ok to slow my class down from admin and I think this has made the kids explode with success, we are a touch behind but I'm sure to the fact we are going to catch up wicked fast. the kids are very hard working, respectful, and determined. Together we are a great working machine!

As far as Algebra, I'm sure you're busting at the seems to know what I'm doing with a class that has 16 boys and no girls! First, I'm going crazy and second I'm thinking there is a serious need in a revamp of my authority. The guys are wicked funny but they are off task a lot and slowing me down. There are a couple that are "too cool" to do the work, still thinking of ways to get him working, I think a trip to see the admin might help me. In the end the guys are really boys, and man they're a riot and wicked fun. I really do like them.

My foundations class has been a ton of trouble. The class was designed to be computer based, well I have no program for the class. This means we are up the creek folks. We have been using worksheets and printing a ton, and I keep trying to save trees. Epic fail. Good news is that the students are beyond polite and hard working, they respond well to me, least I think. I have a couple of ideas for the course so that we can get working even without our computers for a few more days.

My overall theme for today, is to me the kids are worth so much more than any drama or frustration. I like to hear their stories and their heartaches. I love going to watch the teams play ans support those who might not have support. My mom and dad worked their tails off so I could play and had they had the chances they'd be front row. I am so grateful they gave me so many chances, and were able to attend everything that they could. I want to do that for kids here, and even for the ones with more support, it's nice to know your teacher cares.

I might not be the smartest math teacher, but I do care the most. I want them to be successful in so many more areas in life than just math, as there is so much more to life than math. That last statement isn't my favorite but true. This year has already taught me so much, and these kids are teaching me things everyday, I have been blessed. What a wild ride this is going to be...

1 comment:

  1. Ryan...sounds great what you're doing. being a teacher is the most rewarding thing that i can imagine doing, and even when i try to change careers for a variety of reasons, i always end up back in the classroom. bravo, young sir. sounds like you're off to an auspicious and ambitious start. good for you. being a teacher can be a lot like being an athlete, and you are one, so don't forget the little things like pace yourself and nourish yourself and breathe. keep up the excitement and the blogging...i may just finally get around to starting one myself. good luck and holler if you need to, but you know that without me having to tell you.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete